KNOWLEDGE OF MOROCCAN DENTISTS TOWARDS THE PROPHYLAXIS OF INFECTIVE ENDOCARDITIS
Introduction: The involvement of oral bacterias in the occurrence of infective endocarditis (IE) has prompted the adoption of antibiotic prophylaxis prior to dental procedures for patients at high-risk. The aim of this paper was to assess the knowledge of Moroccan dentists regarding the management of patients with heart disease at risk of infective endocarditis.
Methods: This was a cross-sectional descriptive analytical study which targeted 200 dentists in the city of Rabat- Morocco. A questionnaire with 16 questions was distributed randomly. The level of knowledge of dentists was established based on the number of correct answers for each section and responses were assessed according to the American Heart Association (AHA) 2007 guidelines.
Results: Only 133 practitioners have agreed to participate in our study with a response rate of 66,5%. 87% of dentists reported contacting the cardiologist before starting treatment, 33% of practitioners weren’t aware of any guidelines and 20% knew AHA 2007, 52% reported not following guidelines in the management of patients with heart disease. Among the cardiac conditions and dental procedures proposed in the questionnaire which required prophylaxis; 8% and 2% respectively chose the correct answer according to the AHA’s 2007 guidelines. 31% of dentists answered correctly on the prescription of antibiotic prophylaxis protocol according to the latest recommendations.
Conclusion: According to our results, the knowledge of Moroccan private general dentists towards endocarditis prophylaxis was in a low level. The study highlights the need for continuous education.
- Franck Thuny, MD, PhD and al. Infective Endocarditis: Prevention, Diagnosis, and Management. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 30 (2014) 1046-1057
- Prendergast B D. The changing face of infective endocarditis. Heart 2006; 92: 879-885
- Wilson. W, Kathryn. A, Taubert and al. Prevention of Infective Endocarditis: Guidelines From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2007;116:1736-1754
- European Society of Cardiology. The task force on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of infective endocarditis of the European society of cardiology. Guidelines on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of infective endocarditis. Eur Heart J 2009;30:2369-2413.
- Duval X, Delahaye F, Alla F, Tattevin P, Obadia JF, Le Moing V, and al. Temporal trends in infective endocarditis in the context of prophylaxis guideline modifications: three successive population- based surveys. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012;59:1968-1976.
- Moreillon P, Que YA. Infective endocarditis. Lancet 2004; 363:139-149.
- Duval X, Leport C. Prophylaxis of infective endocarditis: current tendencies, continuing controversies. Lancet Infect Dis 2008;8:225-232
- Bannay A, Hoen B, Duval X, Obadia JF, Selton-Suty C, Le Moing V, and al. The impact of valve surgery on short- and long-term mortality in left-sided infective endocarditis: do differences in methodological approaches explain previous conflicting results? Eur Heart J 2011;32:2003-2015
- Committee on prevention of rheumatic fever and bacterial endocarditis, American Heart Association. Prevention of rheumatic fever and bacterial endocarditis through control of streptococcal infections. Circulation 1955;11:317-320
- François Delahaye, Brahim Harbaoui, Virginie Cart-Regal, Guy de Gevigney. Recommendations on prophylaxis for infective endocarditis: Dramatic changes over the past seven years. Archives of Cardiovascular Disease (2009) 102, 233—245
- Coutinho AC, Castro GF, Maia LC. Knowledge and practices of dentists in preventing infective endocarditis in children. Spec Care Dentist 2009; 29(4): 175-8.
- Zadik Y, Findler M, Livne S, Levin L, Elad S. Dentists' knowledge and implementation of the 2007 American Heart Association guidelines for prevention of infective endocarditis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2008; 106(6): e16-9.
- Oliver R, Roberts GJ, Hooper L, Worthington HV. Antibiotics for the prophylaxis of bacterial endocarditis in dentistry. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008; 8(4): CD003813.
- Gopalakrishnan PP, Shukla SK, Tak T. Infective endocarditis: rationale for revised guidelines for antibiotic prophylaxis. Clin Med Res 2009; 7(3): 63-8
- Chate RA. An infective endocarditis audit illustrates why dental guidelines in general need to be kept clear, simple and unambiguous. Br Dent J 2008; 205(6): 331-5.
- Nakano K, Ooshima T. Common knowledge regarding prevention of infective endocarditis among general dentists in Japan. J Cardiol 2011; 57(1): 123-30.
- Bhayat A, Jarab. F, Mansuri. S and al. Assessment of Knowledge of Dental Staff at a Saudi Arabian University Regarding the Prophylaxis for Infective Endocarditis. The Open Dentistry Journal, 2013, 7, 82-87
- Eskandari. A, Abolfazli. N, Lafzi. A. Endocarditis Prophylaxis in Cardiac Patients: Knowledge among General Dental Practitioners in Tabriz. JODDD 2008;2(1):19-15
- Chitsazi. MT, Pourabbas. R. Knowledge of dentists who practice in Tabriz regarding the latest prophylaxis regimens for prevention of infective endocarditis. Medical Journal of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences 2005; 64:40-44
- Boyle. N, Callagher. C, Sleaman. D. Antibiotic prophylaxis for bacterial endocarditis: a study of knowledge and application of guidelines among dentists and cardiologists. J Ir Dent Assoc 2006; 51:232-7. (3)
- Cloitre. A, Duval. X, Lesclous. P. Antibiotic prophylaxis of infective endocarditis, compliance with recommendations of good practice, national survey of dental surgeons. Med Buccale Chir Buccale 2014 ; 20 :141-153
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.