The odontogenic keratocyst (OKC) is a benign intraosseous cyst of the odontogenic origin, characterized by an aggressive behavior with a relatively high recurrence rate.OKC is mostly presented at the 2nd and 3rd decades and predominantly affect males. It affects mandible more than maxilla and is frequently found at the angle of mandible. OKC can clinically and radiographically mimic other benign and less aggressive lesions. It is therefore important to differentiate them from other cysts and tumors, for a proper treatment and reduction of recurrences.
We report the case of a 19-year-old woman who presented with a swelling in left mandible. The clinicaland radiographicfeatures were in favor of a radicular cyst.Histological examination, however, contradicted this diagnosis, indicating a case of OKC.
2) John M Wright , Marilena Vered .Update from the 4th edition of the World Health Organization classification of head and neck tumours: odontogenic and maxillofacial bone tumors. Head Neck Pathol 2017;11(1):68-77)
3) Priyangana Nath, Col Suresh Menon, M. E. Sham, Veerendra Kumar, S. Archana.Conservative management of odontogenic keratocyst in a tertiary hospital. Ann Maxillofac Surg 2020;10:122-6.
4)P.M. Brechard ,G. Hervé, V. Descroix, G. Lescaille, A. Guyon. Short Case Report A non-syndromic case of maxillo-mandibular keratocysts. J Oral Med Oral Surg 2020;26:8)
5) Nalini Tomar, Kuldeep Singh Bhadauria. Odontogenic keratocyst- Mimicking residual cyst in maxilla. Journal of Oral Medicine, Oral Surgery, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology 2020;6:98–105.
6)Auluck A, Pai KM. Treatment of recurrent odontogenic keratocyst: a known but forgotten point. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006; 44: 74-75.
7) Daniel Lim, Umar Kamali. Radicular Cyst Or Odontogenic Keratocyst : A Case Of Diagnostic Dilemma. Malaysian Dental Journal Vol 2/2019)
8) Deepak Passi, Deepika Singhal, Mahinder Singh. Journey of OKC from cyst to tumor to cyst again: Comprehensive review with recent updates on who classification (2017)Research, 9, (07), 54080-54086.
9)Slusarenko da Silva Y, Naclério-Homem.Conservative Treatment of Primary and Nonsyndromic Odontogenic Keratocyst: An Overview of the Practice. Int J Oral Dent Health (2018) 4:070.
10) Daniel Antunes FREITAS,Daniela Araújo VELOSO,Alisson Luís D’Afonseca SANTOS,Vinícius Antunes FREITAS.Maxillary odontogenic keratocyst: a clinical case report.RevGaúchOdontol, Porto Alegre, v.63, n.4, p. 484-488, 2015
11)Godhi, S.S. ,P. Kukreja, Keratocystic odontogenic tumor: a review. J Maxillofac Oral Surg 2009;8(2):127-131
12) AndreaBorghesi and al.Odontogenic keratocyst: imaging features of a benign lesion with an aggressive behaviour. Insights Imaging (2018) 9:883–897)
13)Borgonovo AE, Bernardini L, Francinetti P, Rizza F, Re D. Odontogenic Keratocyst Mimicking Paradental Cyst. Case Rep Dent 2014;2014.
14) MacDonald D.Lesions of the jaws presenting as radiolucencies on cone-beam CT. Clin Radiol 71:972–985,2016
15) R. Kirthika, Ch. Uma Reddy, Br. Sathvikalakshmi, L. Chandrashekar,R. Sudarshan and A. Feroz Khan. Odontogenic Keratocyst: A Case Series .Asian Journal of Medicine and Health 11(4): 1-5, 2018;
16)Naida Hadziabdic and al.Case Series Nonsyndromic Examples of Odontogenic Keratocysts: Presentation of Interesting Cases with a Literature Review. Hindawi Case Reports in Dentistry Volume 2019, Article ID 9498202, 12 pages
17) Johnson NR, Batsone MD, Savage NW. Management and recurrence of keratocystic odontogenic tumor: a systematic review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2013; 116:e271-e276
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2021 Essaket S et al.